HISTORIC CITY OF AYUTTHAYA, THAILAND
Domestic Visitors: 1,205,428
International Visitors: 343,180
Total Visitors: 1,548,068 (2015)
Ayutthaya, situated on an island at the confluence of three rivers, was the second capital of the Kingdom of Siam between the 14th and 18th centuries. Located between China, India and the Malay Archipelago, Ayutthaya became the trading capital of Asia.
In 1700 it became the largest city in the world with a total of 1 million inhabitants, attracting merchants from the Arab world, China, India, Japan, Portugal, the Netherlands and France. Over this period, merchants noted Ayutthaya to be the finest city they had ever seen.
In 1767 Ayutthaya was attacked by the Burmese army who burned the city to the ground. The city was never rebuilt in the same location and is known today as an extensive archaeological site.